Have a Happy, Healthy Summer
Summer can be such an exciting time of year. It somehow seems like we all slow down just a little bit to enjoy life more. So many take vacations or just take time away from work to spend with family and friends. Many of us spend that time outside. And though that is a welcome change from the ice and snow of winter and the storms of spring, we are often unprepared for the heat of summer. One thing we can all do to be prepared is to put together a “healthy summer kit.” A good “healthy summer kit” should consist of the following items…
• 30 SPF sunscreen (or higher) is best to have on hand to prevent burns from sun exposure.
• Always reapply sunscreen every couple of hours.
• Let sunscreen dry for 15 minutes before getting in the pool, lake, or ocean.
• Bug spray
• Unfortunately, summer in the south means mammoth size mosquitoes. A little bug prevention can go a long way in preventing those itchy bites left behind from nights outside.
• If you are going to be away from home, pack some bottles or thermoses of water to take with you. It does not take long in summer heat to get a little dehydrated.
• First aid items
• Bandaids, triple antibiotic ointment, hydrocortisone cream, and OTC pain reliever are just a few of the items I like to have in my kit. Most pharmacies carry small first aid kits that will contain what you need.
Keep this “healthy summer kit” with you whenever you leave the house this summer. You will be prepared for whatever curve balls summer throws your way!