Prepare your kids for success
Back to school time is such a busy time for everyone. It can be especially difficult for our children after a schedule-free summer. There are, however, many strategies you can put in place for a smooth transition into the school year.
• Set a specific bedtime and stick to it. Kids like a good routine just as much as adults do. Let them know what their bedtime is and give them the opportunity to be involved in bedtime rituals.
• Plan for a healthy breakfast. Kids need a well balanced breakfast to prepare them for the school day. Instead of giving them cereals that are too sugary, try whole grain cereal and fruit. A breakfast that is too high in sugar can affect your child’s ability to think clearly throughout the day.
• Get your children involved in planning their lunches. A healthy lunch is just as important as a healthy breakfast. Let them choose a good source of protein as well as fruits and vegetables instead of prepackaged foods.
• Create a color coded calendar for activities. So many families have multiple children with multiple activities. A color coded calendar can ease the stress of remembering each day’s activities.
• Create a good environment for homework. Make sure your child has a quiet place to do homework. They may even be able to study and work better after a good after school snack.
• If your child takes any medication, be aware of its side effects. For example, some children need allergy medicine which often causes drowsiness and may interfere with school performance. It may be possible to change the time of day some medications are given to prevent problems with school.
• Pray for your children to have a blessed school year!